- Get your charcoal started ahead of time. This will take the full 30 min to light so you’ll want to make sure you account for this.
For charcoal lighting tips, check out our getting started videos.
- While the coals are getting hot, you’ll want to peel, devein and take the tail off each shrimp. (For faster prep, you can just buy these already cleaned and peeled). Once completed, season with salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne powder.
- In a bowl, prepare your beer batter starting with flour followed by baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne powder. You’ll then pour your Pacifico beer into the mix and stir until the consistency of pancake batter.
- In a separate bowl, mix your pre-cut coleslaw bag with mayonnaise, Valentina’s hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce) and lime juice. Season to taste with the listed seasonings.
- In a cast iron skillet, pour your choice of frying oil and place onto your heated grate. It’s important to make sure the oil reaches at least 350 degrees. This ensures the shrimp cooks fully and the outside fries golden brown.
- Time to fry! With a fork or BBQ tongs dip each shrimp into the Pacifico beer batter and place carefully into the hot frying oil. Allow the shrimp to fry on each side for 3-4 min until golden brown. Set aside to rest on a separate plate and lightly dust your fried shrimp with the listed seasoning mixture.
- Remove your oil pan from the heat and utilize the hot grate to heat up your tortillas. Once complete, plate each taco with 2 shrimps, topped with your Mexican slaw. Lastly, garnish with your pickled onions & cotija cheese.
At this point you should be two bites in and washing it down with a cold Pacifico beer. But Beer careful though, these tacos will have you booking a family vacation to the beach!