- Get your charcoal started ahead of time. This will take the full 30 min to light so you’ll want to make sure you account for this.
For charcoal lighting tips, check out our getting started videos.
- Prior to grilling, make sure your trouts should be cleaned and gutted. Most grocery stores will carry these cleaned for you.
- We are grilling the fish over the direct fire so make sure your grill grates are well coated with oil. This will ensure the fish does not stick to the grates.
- While your coal is heating up, you’ll prepare the fish for the grill.
- Season the trouts with salt and pepper.
- Place the minced garlic inside the fish.
- Place the slices of lemon and orange inside, about 2 slices of each should suffice.
- Place some onion slices along with the lemons and oranges inside as well.
- Place the sprig of rosemary and the sprig of thyme inside the fish.
- Tie up the rainbow trouts with some kitchen twine.
- Cook until the outside of the fish is crispy and golden brown. This should take about 5 minutes per side, flipping once.
- Remove from the grill, cut the twine and serve. Enjoy!